27 June 2013

My Defense of Marriage

Neal A. Maxwell stated (in a wonderful talk, by the way):  
In Proverbs, we read, “For the commandment is a lamp” (Prov. 6:23). Once darkened, a society loses its capacity to distinguish between right and wrong and the will to declare that some things are wrong per se. Without the lamp, our world finds itself desperately building temporary defenses, drawing new lines, forever falling back, unwilling to confront. A society which permits anything will eventually lose everything! Therefore, recognized or not, the public has an enormous stake in private morality!
I can't speak for other people who share my LDS faith, but this is why I choose to defend the traditional, Godly definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. If we let the light of Christ darken because we think it's none of our business what others do with their agency, or because we are afraid to step on toes, or push our beliefs on others, then how will those who are searching for truth find their way? Who will be their light?

I defend marriage out of a great love for the eternal welfare of mankind. You don't have to agree with me, and you don't even have to agree with my motives, but this is what I believe: